- 2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- All-purpose seasoning
- 2 cups of uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme of 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 5 oz can of Red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole scotch bonnet
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 ½ cups of Chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 2 tsp of all spice
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain water.
- Heat a saucepan with oil. Then add onions, garlic, thyme and ginger. sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in Kidney beans add coconut milk, for about 2 minutes, then add bay leaf, scotch bonnet, all spices, with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil reduce heat for 15-20 minutes or until beans are soft
- Add Rice
- Cover with a lid and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes or more. Stir occasionally from the sides to prevent burns, add more water if needed.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves, scotch bonnet and fresh thyme